Originally Posted By: ado
My opinion on this ring is that the side engraving is not identical to the front, I believe that is the key here.
Side engraving has much depth and detail to it while front looks added afterwards and whoever added it was not very skillful at it as you see engraving lines running through the swas where they should not have been.
Front engraving added during or after TR period? how can you tell with engraved rings like this!

As I do know too few about those rings I want ONLY refer to this posting: Imho this is an optical error. The front engraving is -perhaps- not as deep as the side engraving but remarkable well done. What you think to be lines running into the swaz� are correct(!) lines which should let the swaz� appear 3-dimensional.

Perhaps I can add something in general which I could observe concerning IIIR items and IIIR item fakes: in some front sections and especially inside this ring the burnishing looks artificial (also during these times there has been used artificial burnishing) AND not old to me. Could be the pics or the light but it looks to me like burnishing on modern, well faked items.

Just my personal observations, regards,

wotan, gd.c-b#105

"Never look for sqare eggs" as a late owner of an original FHH-dagger used to say.