If I recall, the list of SS degens in Wittmann's book is, at least in part, based on surveys of dealers and perhaps collectors. This takes us back once again to the same old question as to whether SS leader degens were made in the same configuration as police leader degens. I think such is highly doubtful, save the "Dachau" examples. It is possible, though unlikely, grip swaps took place during the Third Reich period, changing a sword from a police configuration to an SS one. SS leader degens were considered "honor" degens and an SS officer had to to be awarded or approved to wear one. Stretching the possibilities, there could have been a shortage of SS degens at some point later on and the swapping of grips could have been officially or unofficially authorized for officers qualifying to wear the leader sword. It is also posit;e one qualified for the SS sword could have put his official sword away and swapped grips on a police sword for wear when the occasion called for it. But, this is speculative and nothing more. I am unaware of any documentation authorizing such and it would take that to be convincing that the swaps took place during the period. It is simple matter to swap grips on police degens. There are some decent reproduction SS grips around and once in a while you see what appear to be authentic examples advertised for sale here and there. Someone skilled can also swap the police grip emblem for an SS one to the point of being undetectable. It is also likely somewhere long the way, someone had an SS sword in poor condition and placed the good grip on a police degen. The safest bet when it comes to non-Muller swords is to stick with the "Krebs" and unmarked type with proper configuration. If you want a display sword, buying a police type with SS grip is up to you, but such, in my opinion, should not cost more, if any more, than a police leader degen. The skepticism for such swords is likely to remain for many years to come and such "converted" swords would be difficult to sell to a knowledgeable collector down the line. Bargains are not always what they seem. If in the market for an SS leader degen, I would be patient, save my money and buy one that is not controversial.