Here's something on point that I got but don't remember where or when:

When I was actively collecting SS degens I compiled a database of degens offered by Tom Wittmann in his printed lists. This publication ran from 1986 to 2002. I feel the information to be statisticaly significant.
I referenced Tom's inventory numbers, not item numbers, to avoid duplication. Tom W's descriptions by type of degen remained reasonably standard over the 16 year period, which was a big help. I would like to share the results here, but just in summary. "Degens" includes officer and EM in total.

P D Krebs 41 degens
No TM 47
Dachau 29

Alcoso 2
Clemen & Jung 1
Eickhorn 1
Holler 3
Rath 2
Weyersberg 1
WKC 3

TOTAL 130 degens

I realise that everyone has had their own valid experiences' in turning up SS degens out of the weeds with various maker marks.
However, very few of us can match the volumes handled by a major dealer over an extended period of years.

Regarding "SS proofmarks".
The Krebs and no TM degens were proof stamped on one or both parts, with only one exception.
None of the Dachau degens were proved, as was the norm for these.
Of the 13 other degens by assorted makers, seven degens had proofmarks.

Within this very small group of thirteen assorted maker marked degens were several major players, whom one would reasonably have expected to have significant representation in the above survey, had they in fact been authorised to supply the SS degen.

[b]TW has a Holler right now and I've had a Holler for over 40 years. So that's two more.

http://www.wwiidaggers.com/38693.htm

This SS Degen is in very nice condition throughout. We don't see many SS pieces coming from Höller, but this example is the real deal.

The hilt is in extremely nice condition, having an excellent nickel-plated finish. The pommel cap is the NCO type, having a nice set of SS runes at the top. Most of the blackening remains in the recesses of the rune design. There are a couple of minor scratches on this pommel, but nothing that really detracts from the look. The “D” guard is a beauty, flowing around through the crossguard area and ending in a teardrop quillon. The upper ferrule is built into the degen. The lower ferrule features six standing oak leaves, each with hand enhancement to the leaves and acorns.

The grip of this degen is the type without wire. All of the ribs remain in perfect condition. The original finish is still intact and retains a nice shine.

Niether the lower portion of the hilt or the scabbard is SS proofed; this is not at all unusual for a Höller degen, however.

The scabbard is outstanding, being completely straight throughout. The original paint is nearly 100% intact, showing only a few minor marks. The upper scabbard fitting is the Wotan's Knot variety, having good pebbling in the background areas. There does not seem to be much darkening in the recesses, but I don't think that it had any ti begin with. The mount is retained by a pair of dome head steel screws in the lower loop of the knot.

There is a snap clip with a small leather belt and buckle attached to the “U” fitting on the reverse of the carrying ring. The leather shows age but is still serviceable.

The blade is very fine, being in the usual matte finish and retaining a needle-like tip. It is 29 inches long. The reverse ricasso is stamped with the Höller Thermometer logo, and the new-like black leather blade washer is in place.

This is a very nice degen from a scarce maker, and priced affordably.

Near Mint. $2,195.00

Last edited by Texasuberalles; 12/09/2016 04:27 AM.