Originally Posted By: Byzanti
Good luck Alex!

Originally Posted By: Mark4321
Absolutely, please do! Highly interesting, this!

The wait is over! A disappointing enough answer, but enough to go on I think.

In typical German fashion the record offices for the Wehrmacht and SS were completely independent entities and near the end of the war the SS record office was destroyed (reoccurring theme), the information I was given are only fragments of the original record and among the things missing is the service picture and indeed his whole identification book! frown

Hartwig Friedrich Badenhop, born on March 17th 1909 in Kirchlinteln was assigned indentification number "-A492- Fl. H. Kdtr. Rotenbg./Hann.".

His last official transfer of employment on record is dated June 12th, 1940 to Fliegerhorst-Kommandantur Rotenburg/Hannover. In a list for worker labor distribution his job title and function are not specified.

Further, the documents I received also make mention of an unknown "Einberufung in die Waffen-SS". My understanding of the exact meaning of that field is blurry, and I can't tell if that simply means they don't have record of his rank there, or if it refers to a more specific duty/call-up purpose.

On March 19th 1945 at 11:00AM while serving with the SS in the Bachem district of Merzig, Saarland; Hartwig was found dead outside the hunting lodge in the Dürwiesenkopf (=capital/administrative?) district.

Although it was less than I was hoping for after waiting almost a year; I think there might be enough to go on to mount a more in depth investigation. As a small bonus; since they couldn't provide me with much information the WAST waived the usual 40 euro processing fee, generous for a government organization of any kind! Imagine must what have originally been available on record!

Cheers
Alex