Well it is funny how items go around and come around. I happily purchased the very example that kicked off this thread at the 2016 SOS. I am a long time Imperial Navy collector but always wanted a choice Hirschfanger to supplement a beautifully conditioned Hunting Association armband, lapel pins and a miniature Hirschfanger that I picked up over the years.
The reason I know it is the very same Hirschfanger is it has those unique divots missing from the grip of what is otherwise a near mint piece. The seller (sadly I didn't take the time to grab his card as I was trying to watch my table from afar) explained to me it was theorized that the hilt was used to tack up a notice. There was something in my mind that made me think otherwise and on the plane ride home it occurred to me. Being that there was absolutely no damage to any of the pips or anywhere else for that matter on either side but just the "chips" in the grip plates I determined it was most likely rodents. Yes rodents. I have seen this before on an ivory grip, those devilish buggers. This also lends credence to Bill's comments regarding the plates being genuine horn. Rodents like dogs love to chew on animal horn. It is doubtful any collector today stores artifacts in attics but given the age of our items, it seems plausible to believe that they weren't always treated with the care we do today.

Thanks for letting this Navy collector butt in.

Last edited by stratocaster3; 03/10/2016 10:09 PM.

Wanted: German Naval Edged Weapons and Related Accouterments