Tracy:

These photos show the etch way better... I like the etch, I like the bayonet. You have a nice and semi-rare etched bayonet there.

I take my pictures in a light box or using outside natural light depending on the weather. I use an old Sony Mavica camera that give me nice closeups and takes pics in low resolution so that I can post them on any forum without resizing worries.

Etched blades were produced for several reasons:

- dedications for special events or special people, such as promotions or transfers or special school or training.
- items produced to be given out as prizes, such as shooting competition prizes
- items produced in honour of service, such as this one. These would be sold to active soldiers in camps, usually training camps, as a memento of their service time. Sometimes these would show a branch of service, such as the one you have for the Luftwaffe, sometimes it would show the actual unit name and number and city.

The most common etched bayonets are for generic time in service. Then, come service dedications, then unit name and number, lastly and rarest of all are dedications for special events or to special people. Sometimes, you will see etches on both sides of the blade.

Welcome to the forum,

John

Always looking for Eickhorns and etched bayonets.