My two cents Gents,

I too have been seeing many hard to find and rare pieces coming to the market in general. I attribute this to the natural turn-over from long time collections that need to liquidate due to age, retirement, divorce etc. There are also some that think they need to get out while the getting is good, particularly TR. I happen to believe we are simply seeing a correction in the market. A great time to buy IMO.

With respect to Hermann Historica, they have a global reach and have a long record of handling extremely rare artifacts. This may be why people seek them out to auction their rare (expensive) pieces. They are an auction house and handle thousands of varied artifacts. Having said this, in my small world of Naval edged weapons, they will on rare occasions have a piece that I don't necessarily agree with. That doesn't make them wrong. It is simply a difference of opinion. I have the deepest respect for HH as they are one of the premier auction houses in Germany. They are run by humans of course and could make a mistake. However, they would never in my opinion, attempt to deceive. I would never have a problem working with HH. They have a solid reputation and stand behind their items.

Finally, my view is regardless of the dealer or auction house and their reputation, you personally need to judge the piece for yourself, particularly high end items. Bring in others if you need additional perspective before laying out the big bucks. Only you can be the final judge.

Wanted: German Naval Edged Weapons and Related Accouterments