Dean,

I checked the Wikipedia Bastanier English translation from the German and found it so-so at best. Here's my take if you'd like to have it for your files ...

Hanns Bastanier was born in Berlin on December 24, 1885, and died in Freiburg in Breisgau on January 16, 1966.

He was the son of a professor at the Berlin University of Applied Arts, Ernst Bastanier. In his father's studio he practised varied artistic techniques. From 1903 until 1907 he studied sculpture under Janensch and Breuer at the University of the Fine Arts in Berlin. After 1925 he involved himself with painting, (mostly landscapes) and after 1930 practised enamelwork and watercolors. He also completed many examples of Exlibris bookplates and is best known for his engraving skills.

During the Second World War he lost his family and all of his artworks. He moved to the suburb of Mülheim, near Berlin in 1951.

It seems to me that Herr Bastanier had a great repetoire of engravings, as well as book illustrations and even the occasional bronze. Quite a talented artist in my humble opinion. I always learn something new from your posts. I'll add a few more of his nice engravings that I found whilst looking up his background.

Your latest engraving is also very, very nice. A very fine dragon rendering, quite a nasty beast that one. Is it signed?

Many thanks!

Bill

ps not really sure of the Ancestoral Father meaning? Possibly in this context the All-Father, Wotan? Just a guess ..?

3749439_1_l.jpg (46.66 KB, 161 downloads)
bastian1.jpg (53.97 KB, 161 downloads)