Yes Gary, engravers used the works of heraldic artists of the day. Their was of course others with famous and fantastic works but one heraldic artist in particular was an engraver who taught many engravers their craft in Germany. I see a lot of his style used on blades of this period. They definitely had a lot to choose from, but the more intricate the more cost involved per letter so I think that's why we see more simplistic styles used.

I don't know but I think we throw the jeweler must've done it around a little bit to much. Sure they did engrave to an extent, but IMO for the very well done superb workmanship we see, the candidates would first be an engraver/shop which were plentiful, then a silver smith or jeweler trained in this skill but more than likely I would say they out sourced them to an engraver/shop or had a skilled engraver in the shop do the work. Their was some rivalry and concerns between engravers and silver smiths of the day. My point being that if you wanted something engraved right and had the money, wouldn't you take it to an engraver? IMO yes.