Originally Posted By: lakesidetrader
Wotan, agreed I have seen some of these that I have believed were post-war put together. They IMHO did not use the right parts to do this and you can tell. This particular example is the one Witty used in his ref. book.
Now even std Puma Navies are rare as hens teeth. Here is one from my archives.
As far as the progression of Maker marks I have always thought the one with out the diamond was the 1st used.

Due to my observations in the meantime the put together pieces or total fakes have been much improved. Just a question: do you know ANY feature to distinguish good from bad FOR SURE or is it only because of slobby/good fitting?
I did recognize the TTW example in your post, it is quite distinguishable.
These PUMA daggers do come now at least with three different scabbards. The one with the rope ringholder design which is also pictured in the period PUMA catalogue, the "common" navy scabbard and the one shown by TTW. For me much too many for such a rarely seen dagger...

BTW the leather washer on your last shown dagger - is it original to the piece? PUMAs commonly do come with green felt washers.

Regards,

wotan, gd.c-b#105

"Never look for sqare eggs" as a late owner of an original FHH-dagger used to say.