Fred, thank you for the link, I still have to read this interesting discussion in full length.
ORPO, I always appreciate your interesting and experienced comments, but in this case I have to disagree. Imho these silver lionhead swords are in no way controversial as prooved by a mass of period wering pics. Here where they were produced and worn there is no controverisal Point of view at all. Would not have been the unfortunate connex to custom (I would like to know who did this???) ot the early days these would be out of doubt for everybody.
And concerning the "Kulturzeichen" I for sure have not read all what can be find about it in the net and in books but up to now I have not seen a copy of the period mentioning of this certain exptression in connex with the intertwined runes either in an octogone or not. so up to now I go with the old saying (transl.) "if you collect german (items) you have to think german" which is NOT meant in ANY political way! But as several englis expressions can hardly be translated to any other language it�s the same with some german expressions and a connex in which the writing stands is important too so I would like to see the period printing.
Regards,

wotan, gd.c-b#105

"Never look for sqare eggs" as a late owner of an original FHH-dagger used to say.