It is generally known the various manufacturers of the German S84/98 T3 did not produce this same pattern as an extraseitengewehr. In most cases a lighter, polished S84/98 was manufactured in a myriad of minor variants and grades. However, some few service models were manufactured not for privat purchase, but on special order.

The S84/98 T3 pictured is such a bayonet. This is a "commercial" pattern without any markings. The bayonet has a factory nickle finish. The scabbard is also unmarked, and finished in high-polish blue. Bayonet came with a blue felt spacer and T/O slot insert pad. This bayonet was likely a special order contracted for in a very small quantity by one of the German service branches (I think likely Luftwaffe) for a special honor or guard detail.

I have only observed one other example, which I have as well. It is missing the flashguard, and shows much evidence of having been mounted on and off a rifle. I suspect the guard was removed because the bright nickle finish caused glare to be reflected into the soldier's face when the bayonet was mounted to his rifle, and the weapon held at the "present arms" position. It is identical to the example pictured, with the exception of having only the date of "40" on the base of the blade spine. Machining and other characteristics indicate both bayonets were made by the same firm and at the same time.

With such a bright finish, it is difficult for the camera capture the detail of the bayonet. Lines are all crisp & sharp...this is not a rework, refinished, or post-WW2 revision...

MVC-001F.JPG (46.46 KB, 544 downloads)
MVC-002F.JPG (53.25 KB, 541 downloads)
MVC-003F.JPG (48.4 KB, 541 downloads)
MVC-004F.JPG (55 KB, 539 downloads)
Last edited by FredM; 06/24/2014 07:10 PM.