What I presume to be the bulk of John's collection went under the hammer yesterday. I followed the auction and found it rather sad to see his collection being broken up but such is life. I dare say that there was a lot of nice items that were picked out by his closest colleagues before the remainder went to auction. In some way I was surprised that the daggers on offer were not the best condition wise. I was interested to bid on a couple of items but when you factored in the HH 23% buyer fee the shipping and import taxes there was no way that anything near a fair deal was to be had for the overseas bidder. I did know that John was very in to the gold party badges but to quite what extent I did find surprising. He really had a passion for those and there were a surprising number of matched pairs with their award documents. They went for a lot of $$$$ Go figure? Each to their own but they have not the slightest allure to me.

Like already said, I suspect much was otherwise sold off than through Hermann's auction.

War is when your government tells you who the enemy is.
Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself.