xilly,

I am sorry that I have no concrete information for you concerning this sword beyond my elementary observations relative to the blade. I see several serious blade defects and the overall condition of the blade to include the poor or absence of the (water line(?)) doesn't appeal to myself at all. It seems to myself that you may be buying the story and not the quality of the item.

However, there are several on this forum who are quite versed and expert in this area.

You sound as a very astute and sincerely interested buyer. However, I question your thoughts of buying such a sword via e-bay and from an unknown person so far away. I wonder if you wouldn't serve your desires and needs more effectively by contacting one of the Japanese sword experts and dealers here in the United States.

Myself, I would feel much more comfortable buying from a local dealer than from one so out of reach.

In addition, if the sword is not to your satisfaction or if the deal would go bad, can you imagine the anguish and brain damage that could ensue not to mention any adverse monetary consequences?

Incidentally, there are several experts with many offerings at the two large U.S. shows, i.e. the SOS show in Lousiville,KY and the MAX show in Pittsburgh,PA.

Just my thoughts and opinion.

Good luck and best regards ,

John