Originally Posted By: Dave Hohaus
Doug,

You are correct about Craig's valid points. My observation after 13½ years here is that there is a core of mostly anonymous guys here and other on forums who like to attack dealers or sometimes successful collectors. This ties in with Gaspare's post above.

Dave

That is true, and you no doubt have seen more than me and most others over the years, but the flip side of that is often they do bring up valid points themselves that otherwise would not get addressed, anonymous or not ,, Then of course, other times they have a vindictive mentality and bring into question any move their target may make, becomes stalkers if you will..
As far as the anonymous thing, yeah I guess it can be a factor when someone can slam someone else without any fear of repercussions to themselves in real life, a built up online persona can be a powerful thing.
I never thought much about it myself, when I first started messing around on the internet in the late 90's it was the norm to use nym's, almost no one posted under their real name ,,,And that habit stuck, never crossed my mind to have a screen name of "Doug Kramer" ,,, I like Lynyrd Skynyrd so that worked for me, but it wasn't out of some perceived fear that I chose a goofy nym, just force of habit.

We really saw the wild west of forums I think, things have settled down a bit, and many forums now require a serious if not an identifying name, and I agree with that trend.
I wouldn't say anything on a forum that I wouldn't say to someone face to face and I expect the same, when I get the feeling that someone is engaging in anonymous internet bravado it highly annoys me ,, And for a guy like Craig, that must go 10x. I don't feel sorry for the guy at all, but I never thought he was all bad with a black heart - He is a product of his yesterdays like anyone else, and sometimes those catch up with you.

Doug