Originally Posted By: DJDR
And the winner is Ron ( Tanker). That last paragraph of your comment is spot on! The members that are dealers really need to understand in order for this hobby to continue and grow, is to have honest people that will stand up and say something about fakes and other questionable items. Serge, if you think not commenting about a bogus item and bringing it to light is bad for business, how do you think new collectors are going to feel about the whole hobby environment. This is going to make it very difficult to bring in new collectors. Not only do you have to worry about fakes, but now you have to worry about the people that deal them knowing their fakes and nobody saying anything about it. Who can anybody trust?

First, Everybody makes mistakes, that's a given. Who do you trust? well, you first start by avoiding the names that are in constant controversy and gravitate toward the guys that are recommended by your fellow collectors.
Second, you buy books to learn and compare. (actually this should be first). There is a great number of reference material today then when I started. (Col. James Atwood's dagger book was considered The Bible at the time.) Books are your friends.

Now, I'm going to mention something from experience that may not sit too well with some, but it's the way I see it.
Many newer collectors today don't want to buy books. They feel they don't need it, or they are outdated. They would rather constantly ask basic questions on originality on forums such as this with; 'Hey Guys, guys what do you think about this one, is it original?' But to spend $150. on a outstanding SS dagger book - Nah...I'll just ask the guys on the forum.

Then you go to shows and look at many examples as possible. Develop friends it the hobby, but don't burn them out.

Spending your money should be last. You will find the hobby much more enjoyable when you really know what your buying and the uniqueness of the artifact.

Quote:

Serge, if you think not commenting about a bogus item and bringing it to light is bad for business, how do you think new collectors are going to feel about the whole hobby environment.

New collectors have better learn the real world of the hobby environment. Anyone who has been in the hobby and on the forums a number of years, and has been vocal about exposing the 'humpers', will tell you how unrewarding that experience is. I been there , I know.
First off, your giving an opinion, which you believe is truthful on some dealers $41,000 dagger who prides himself on writing $250,000 checks. Your giving a 'thumbs down' to it on the open to potential buyer who you don't know from Adam. You think that if the buyer listens to that 'deal killing opinion' that the seller won't be upset? Oh you can say 'who cares- IT'S THE TRUTH !. No, it's not, it's just a opinion, usually taken from a photo.
Besides, at times a newbie will reach out in a PM and ask 'what I think'. well, if I don't like it, guess what's the first question that comes from the seller he's dealing with?- 'Who told you that?'
And so, you get another seller that you probably know mad at you, as you killed his deal. Then, he doesn't forget that, and may repay you in kind for a item your later selling. all that for some guy you hardly know?
You can also be opening yourself up to hiring a lawyer to do some reply letters on your behalf. See Dave's note;
Quote:

2. Keep in mind that you are legally responsible for what you post.

Dave

Dave is right about that.

So, my point is; DO YOU want to possibly bring that upon yourself to some guy you don't even know? If so, OK, I'm proud of anyone who will take on the bad apples of the hobby. However, be aware of what can be awaiting a whistle blower who does expose's on a 'Mega-Dealer'.

For me, I'm done trying to educate newbies on 'How to tell a Fake Rohm dedication from authentic'. Try that one sometime...Oh, they will ask it, and there are some here who think you should do it. laugh

-serge-