Barry,

Not a reproduction at all, in fact, quite an extraordinary sculpture with a history all its own. I think you're going to enjoy this.

According to Dr. Walter G. Demmel, the name Birk is common to the the district of Allach-Obermenzing, (Munich) there are many family members that he found while researching the area's history. The Otto Birk (whose name we see on your ceramic figurine) is still known today as "Keramikmeister," and as recently as 2008, had his shop "Kachelofenbau Baukeramik," (stone-tiled ovens and stoves) located at 255 Allacher Strasse, in München. It still might be in existence today run by other family members?

It seems this Otto Birk was the son-in-law of the famous Franz Nagy, initial owner and artist of the famous SS undertaking, Porzellan Manufaktur Allach. I'm sure the name Nagy is located on top of the maker's mark on your piece, obscured by that bit of clay or ceramic. If it's removable I'm sure that's what will be there. Exactly how and why the piece came into being I have no idea, but I guarantee it was never meant to fool or deceive anyone and is quite rare in its own right. A wonderful find indeed and something that should interest any serious collector/student of Allach porcelain.

Was it a collaboration between the two men, possibly a joint-project to test the ceramic material? Was the piece produced in a larger production run? The actual date of manufacture, is it pre or post-war? All questions that might be answered with some diligent research and translations. Interesting? Absolutely!

Congratulations and much continued good luck! Thanks so much for sharing this outstanding and intriguing piece of your collection with us.

Bill Warda