Gentlemen , if you let me tell my thoughts about the fatman.
Sorry for my bad English.

We were thinking maybe it hewers late post war production 1950-1960 years. But we knows this is not a postwar late productions- We have collectors evidence which we believe, about buying items from vets who brought these trophy hewers just after the war.

Maybe it was production as a souvenir for GI. All the famous so-called "Field day" daggers were either collected from completing real daggers and had memorable inscriptions and etchings on it. These souvenir daggers were more decorative objects than utilitarian, and are known in single copies . "FATMAN" realy ugly boy), for trophy and souvenir. I think to find two identical "Field day" daggers will be very difficult , not to mention any small-edition production . I think it was manual assembly. They souvenir daggers were staffed parts of light alloys. These parts was available storage at the end of the war. Hewers Fatman, was produced small-edition production , judging by the number of items in the present collections. Hewers hardware used on heavy-metal blade of a high-quality steel , and quite untypical shape of the blade for ceremonial weapons of the period. Using the organization motto on the ceremonial hewer and not use memorable etching with an appropriate inscription , also finds no analogy.

If we assume that the Hewers were manufactured before 1945, it is necessary to find justification motto etched on the back side (not typical for nazi ceremonial weapons ) . Blade forms not typical for edged weapons have typikal stamp RAD and not typikal trademark. Perhaps this has the following explanation. Standard cleaver originally intended for officers , separate models for non-commissioned officers were not. Krebs company released an experimental batch cutlasses for non-commissioned officers using the blades from storage - heavy household knives, which has etching the motto of the organization. Location motto on the left side of the blade was due , and that the utility of a cutlass that planned to use it as an entrenching tool , followed by sharpening (as shown by a special notch to facilitate sharpening ) . In this case, the motto was clearly visible to the owner. Use of heavy metals for completing evidence of early production period , when there was a question of saving materials.
Perhaps this option instead cutlass for non-commissioned officers was rejected, and was decided on the establishment of cutlass for senior officers . Since life has shown the ineffectiveness same hewers for real work .

Ron did you mean leader dagger miner's from Holler catalog 1941? Sorry for bad pictures.

20140106_192859q.jpg (103.91 KB, 199 downloads)

Buy Casberg sketches.