Originally Posted By: wotan
Reproduction? - Recognition! by FJStephens (!) states page 93:
The Krebs RAD hewer, some times called the "Fat Man" pattern because of the extremely wide blade (!!!). Not a reproduction as such, but a parts, post-war assembly. All the fittings are original, but the blades were made up in the early 1960�s to complete the assembly.
At least in 1981 FJS has had this profound opinion....

Regards,

When evidence comes to convince someone to change their position on a artifact as was quoted in Frederick's seminal work, a true researcher will always let the evidence lead the way, regardless if it was already printed.

I had discussed 'The Fat-Man' with Frederick back in 2007 at one of the big shows. By that time he had changed his opinion on them, and believed them to be period produced (notched blade variant). However, someone ring Fred up and see what his opinion is currently.

As Billy has stated, Ron W. had seen the 'veteran provenance' in the form the 'Fat Man being brought into a gun show many years ago along with a box of other unusual RAD variants, all from Krebs I believe.
Between Ron and Frederick there over 100 years of experience. Period variants do exist, and have existed. Post war humped-up 'variants' are the fraudsters 'play' with stories to match, often displayed on former east bloc militaria auction sites.

I have yet to meet a REAL EXPERT who seen it ALL, and has been right ALL the time on everything.
And we will never meet a real one either, since it is estimated that over 50% of all edged weapons were destroyed at the end of the war.
However interesting there are surviving photo 'in-wear' evidence of models that have never surfaced. So what does that tell someone ?

I have found over the years that one has to keep an open mind, but also well tempered with knowledge of the many decades of fantasy pieces, and what to look for.
The truth is out there. As Paul H. says; "Never say never".

Best of The Quest in 2014,
Serge