Hello Dutchman,

I have a few Imperial and TR Iron Cross stickpins, though, no 1870 versions, so I'm not that well versed on this early variety pin. I can only tell you what I've observed on the examples I have to give you some food for thought.

Most original examples will exhibit a knurled pin, however, a few will have the straight, unfinished pin. The crown on my examples has much more detail and the numerals of the date are kerned much closer together. None of the pins I have have that granular finish to the inside, normally black area, they're either slightly pebbled or mostly smooth. Most of the pins are cast directly into the medal and only one has a circular backplate like yours.

Don't know exactly why but I don't get that warm fuzzy feeling about the example you've posted..? Something just doesn't sit right with it ... I wouldn't pay too much for it as I can only imagine an 1870 version can't be too cheap?

Hopefully one of our fellow collectors with more experience with these will add more insight for you.

Sorry I couldn't be more positive. Best of luck.

Bill