Originally Posted By: Herman V. (aka Herr Mann)
What valuable parts do you see here, Fred?

A heavily damaged blade, a brooken off fingerguard hilt, a missing reverse grip plate, the other grip plate brooken, a scabbard shell without leather... oh, yes the blade buffer is present!

These were leftovers, from (maybe an original) HJ-knife, with zero market value, put into the ground and an obviously fake diamond added.

What protection against degradation got these thin metal prongs without a reverse grip plate present anyway???

That will be all from my side. This topic should actually be moved to a relic forum.

Best regards,

Herman

It's with those items that are in relic condition that sometimes are the best indicators of how the items were originally made. And this includes the Hitler Youth knives (IMO) for those who are interested in how the various blades were manufactured. With the example here an SS dagger that shows the different levels of decomposition of the materials that were used. With the eagle reasonably intact, and a surprisingly large amount of the nickel plated steel. So I don't know what you are referring to with the prongs that would have been inside a plastic protective shell (the grips) - which admittedly is not the same as encapsulation. But also presumably not made of steel or bare zinc, with possibly a layer of clear lacquer (or protectant) to help preserve the silver or silver colored layer. And as an observation, I don't think that the upper cross guard of the dagger here was broken off - but much more likely IMO it simply disintegrated and fell away. Unless of course anyone thinks that somebody did this to conceal some fakery with an SS dagger to make a profit(?). But that is not how I see it. Best Regards, Fred

SS dagger corrosion.jpg (15.75 KB, 437 downloads)