I discovered and introduced this new WKC 1.5 crossguard variation to the Heer collectors on a thread back in August. I was fortunate to find another example while surfing the internet sometimes those many hours gazing result in an acquisition for the collection. I am not sure how rare this crossguard is but have only seen a handful of examples. They are a quality early brass base and manufactured between the type 1 and type 2 I would surmise early 1936 the examples I have and have seen are mated with early pommels-double screw scabbards and tapered tangs with non slant grips. They exhibit beautiful detail and hand work with an eye reminiscent of the Paul Weyersberg guards I love the Cyclops eye as I call it. Really a great looking detailed guard surprising WKC only used this for a very short time frame and in my opinion the WKC guards that followed the 1.5 are not as appealing but I suspect they felt the type 3 commonly called the hatchet beak was a trendy artistic design. Fortunately this dagger has survived the test of time in near mint condition with a grip going the way of a deep red color. The quality of materials and craftsmanship of this dagger are some of the finest you see this level of quality would soon diminish not only from WKC but the majority of producers sometime between 1936-1937 as they transitioned to designs that required little to no hand enhancing and cheaper less desirable materials.

Collecting Interests - Heer Daggers - Waffenrock - Portraits - http://WW2-Collector.com