Interesting, Dave!

A theory which, in my opinion, makes sense is that these unmarked DJ's were fabricated just after the war and sold as souvenir knifes to the foreign, occupying troops:

- It explains why some (like mine) show the same age as period, regular HJ's

- Most DJ's bear no diamond insignum (or only an easy removeble one on the scabbard) and other 3R marks (like RZM) because that might have caused problems for the producer(s) after the war.

- DJ's also don't have the producers maker mark: it would indicate that the firm had most likely been working (making weapons!) for the nazis during the war.

- Just after the war, there was an abundance of plane wrecks of shot down Britisch and American bombers all over Germany, which could explain why the DJ hilts are always made of (during the war valuable!) aluminium. I have never found a period HJ with a real aluminium hilt. Before the war, this material was only used for certain Wehrmacht (most Luftwaffe) etched weapons.

- Maybe some firms did pack these souvenir knifes in leftover bags for period HJ's. This might also explain why so many original bags (and tags) are found in the US, Canada and the UK, rather than in Germany...

Best regards,

Herman

Last edited by Herman V. (aka Herr Mann); 11/01/2013 10:01 AM.

You never have enough HJ-knifes!