Paul, looking at the components of the artillery Luger holster, I believe that your friend was hoaxed. The straps, flaps and boot that connect the holster to the stock are not at all the quality produced by Germany in WWI. Look at this photo of a LP08 holster and accessories. Notice the strap around the neck of the stock was sewn together, then screwed onto the stock with the strap going through the boot. Notice the safety piece on that strap that prevents the boot from coming off when the stock was attched to the gun. The boot/cup is poorly put together. All the parts are cut and finished like the material coming from Pakistan. And the Austrian marking on the top flap. Well, the Imperial Austrian eagle associated with the initials of Franz Joseph was a two headed eagle. The markings on that flap look like they were made by decorative tools sold by Tandy Leather. I would worry that if the straps and flaps are suspect, then so is the holster. As for the huge amount of vertigris on all the brass and leather. Well this looks like a fairly recent creation. If it was close to 100 years old, it would have corroded the leather, hardened and darkened. That stuff is fresh.

I hope I am mistaken, but I don't think so.

9387068_3.jpg (43.08 KB, 127 downloads)

"This hobby is a continuing education"
Looking for Walther Model 8 #727649
and Walther PP #975557