Originally Posted By: Grumpy
I have seen examples of SS Eickhorn swords with etching on top of the plating. It could well be photoetching. Somewhat light and easy to spot. Beyond that, I don't recall fake etching and I probably wouldn't know a fake stamp if I saw it, unless the subject was incorrectly depicted, there were problems elsewhere on the piece, the quality was poor, etc. In the case of the bayonets at hand, the markings are very deep, so, if an etching process was used, the blades remained in the acid for a long time to eat into the steel that far. I have no idea why. I have not seen an edged weapon trademark etched so deeply, but there are always anomalies and exceptions. Opinions might differ and do. That's fine, as long as they are based on facts and logic so far as is possible. My concern, like the smooth-tail logo Himmler dagger misinformation of a few years ago, is these bayonets will be branded fake by collectors, doing a great disservice to the hobby. I don't care if their markings are etched or stamped, the only question here is are they authentic? I have no doubt they are. Apparently, TW, Barry Brown and others agree. Some disagree, which is also fine, but speculation alone and that these are sometimes faked is not convincing to me they are all with bogus marks. If you think they are fake and find one, please let me know. I would like a chance to buy it.

The only example I have owned is pictured in TW's SS book; I have seen a very few others identical which I liked. Mine came with a dagger, an Sturmbann "N" photo album and some loose photos. I was never able to trace the owner's SS service number. At the time I checked a copy of the Allgemeine SS clothing price list for 1938, bayonets were not listed but I think a frog was listed. I believe there was a seperate price list for SS-VT. Everything looked good on the grouping I acquired very many years back so I just accepted the bayo' for what it appeared to be, some kind of early SS-VT dedicated supply attempt - like the RZM-SS helmet which the helmet collectors do not dispute, although the maker of this SS helmet pattern is yet to be identified.

Resize of Scan1.jpg (96.95 KB, 346 downloads)
Resize of Scan.jpg (89.32 KB, 343 downloads)