Early WKC Heer dagger distributor marked AUG.LUNEBURG, KIEL the distributor mark is very interesting and a bonus I do not ever recall seeing a WKC distributor marked army dagger - have you? In my limited research AUG.LUNEBURG was established in 1881 and specialized in navy wares they retailed some very high end navy daggers of which WKC was their primary supplier. I envision this Heer dagger was special ordered by an army officer who was located in proximity to the retailer or perhaps as a prominent WKC distributor Luneburg inventoried a few Heer daggers. The reason I bought the dagger was the crossguard while very similar to the WKC type 2 the crossguard has several features that are distinct primarily the head shape-size and proximity to the top of the crossguard. The head is so close to the top of the guard its actually shaved off so it did not extend above it. I also like the beautiful extensive hand work to the crossguard and pommel particularly the detail to the eagle’s eye and beak the hilt fittings are early brass based. The scabbard has the early double screws and the blade does have a tapered tang. This could be an early variation of the type 2 or perhaps wishful thinking on my part a previously unidentified crossguard variation if that’s the case it certainly precedes the accepted type 2 variation. Every type 2 WKC crossguard I have seen is of a lightweight inferior base metal which did not hold a silver plate very well. The head on the type 2 have a distinct shape-size & proximity and distinct punched eye. I have seen one other of these crossguards on an early WKC heer perhaps some of the army collectors have one residing in their collections? Aside scrutinizing the details an exciting variation I was happy to add to my army collection and thanks to my good friend who allowed me to add this to my collection I am thankful he doesn’t collect army daggers. Of course these observations are based on limited research so I am open to opinions - comments & observations from my fellow army collectors.

Collecting Interests - Heer Daggers - Waffenrock - Portraits - http://WW2-Collector.com