A recent acquisition an early J.A. Henckels Slant grip army. While the blade is extremely spotty fortunately it is full length and has no pitting or rust issues some crossgrain remains under the smudged surfaces. Fortunately the rest of the dagger is very nice. The crossguard is superb the hand work is some of the best you will see on any army of the period. The breast has the punched triangular pattern - really a great look and no doubt tediously applied by a skilled craftsman one triangle/punch at a time. The pommel is interesting as it has little circular acorns punched around the circumference separating the leaves. I have a good friend (VB) who has a beautiful Henckels if you compare the hand work they are identical the three hand accents to the head the triangle breast pattern even the style and thickness of the hand work that mimics the feather pattern of the wings as well as the little circular acorns punched into the pommel between the leaves. The grip ferrule and scabbard appear identical as well. I have often wondered when you see work almost identical like this if it was carried out by the same craftsman or if the company craftsman’s followed a certain artistic technique dictated by management. This dagger was brought back with some early brass based hangers and a sport shirt eagle amazing the grouping still remains together. I am still doing some comparing but I know some people believe Henckels and Gebruder Heller had a unique crossguard I am leaning toward a heavily enhanced Pack 1st I would like to hear some comments regarding this issue from the army guys.

Collecting Interests - Heer Daggers - Waffenrock - Portraits - http://WW2-Collector.com