Originally Posted By: RFI
Fred,
From our extensive past experiences, I think it is up to you to prove your points. Use legitimate examples that are easily understandable to all, not examples that only make sense to you and new guys.
Thanks!
Bob

Bob, To keep it brief, besides some other parts of my background, I have a fair amount of experience in collecting TR and other period German pistols, rifles, and other types of arms that were serial numbered by hand or machine. And metal stamps are just stamps no matter what the object is that is being marked - and that includes daggers. And they can be double struck, tilted, one character hit more forcefully than another, flattened by being hit post production with something else (etc.). But under close magnification the bottoms of the characters should be more or less the same for repeated stampings, and the shape/form should be the same.

This kind of information is not rocket science. But I also know (like just about everything in life) that not everybody is at the same experience or educational level so when I'm asked I am happy to explain - because the characters are not 110% identical in appearance and sometimes a little explanation is needed for those with a different kind of background . With the example here being a German reissue of a type of bayonet that was used by the W/SS and others having an added serial number. With the �3� and �1� on the solid steel crossguard being more heavily struck than the sheet metal steel scabbard - which makes those markings deeper and slightly changes the size of the outline of the number. And that is because the working part of the metal stamp was designed with an inverted �V� or modified �U� shape. And the harder the hammer blow - the deeper/wider the marking. Regards, Fred

match serial #'s.jpg (88.88 KB, 344 downloads)
W-SS in the field.jpg (121.85 KB, 343 downloads)