Bill, I'm still here, since I have none to offer I'm just enjoying what you all post, it's great! Taxes are keeping me busy as well.Thanks. smile

Dean,
The fourth card on page 62 is so full of symbolic stuff and a great translation by Bill. I noticed as well the vulture on the rock with many circling above. Doesn't take much of an imagination to guess what that means. Are those Viking ships on the water?

Dean, Bill,
The Turner fest cards I like because of it's history and it's relationship to shooting competitions. Not only that, I like the artistic design of the symbol for this organization which as you know is the Turner Cross which stands for Frisch, Fromm, Frohlich, Frei. Translates; Fresh, Pious, Happy and Free. So much history involved with this cross as well..

Bill,
Your correct, it is called a Steinadler in Germany. We call them Golden Eagles. Hunted to near extinction in the Alps by poachers and hunters. So glad they're protected today.

Concerning the "War Emergency Fund Leipzig" card. Many appeals were made for all sorts of stuff during World War one including the appeal for funds. Since this is a card from the war years, I would surmise it's a little one sided like most are.

With that said, I interpret her as a Greek Priestess, an Oracle of Delphi, a Pythia, grasping a sacred branch of laurel leaves in her left hand and holding a dish of over flowing Kassotis spring water in her right hand with vapor rising from it. The Kassotis spring in Delphi as in every spring in ancient Greece was believed to be the home to a Naiad or female nymphs who possessed magical powers. In this case, the Priestess uses it's magical power of prophetic inspiration and offering to Apollo and of course the mystic vapors have drifted to one side.

Delphi was a place were people came to give offerings to Apollo and in exchange have questions answered by the Oracles. Among other things, it was also used as a place where waring Greeks found common ground and published treaties not that this has anything to do with the message here. In Ancient Greece, the sacred laurel leaves was a symbol of honor of the highest status and used as an offering to Apollo and so we see Pythia with offering in hand.

Not known by the artist at the time but looking at this card, It might have or it seems to have foretold the hellish conditions Dresden would face in WW11. It does say Dresden!

Everything about this card is screaming to the masses in an appeal for funds/offerings. Anyway that's my interpretation. Really nice cards.Thanks!