Dean,

What a nice graphic artwork!

Red, blue and black ink on white paper, elegant and yet stunningly powerful. Great to see how the artist utilized the white of the background so well, very clever. In a small way it reminds me of the solid, bold colors and styles used for the psychedelic band posters back in the sixties. Some of those are worth a bundle today.

Two great forces clashing for world dominance and superiority, at what cost? Rivers of blood and scenes from beyond hellish nightmare? Unimaginable cost for a set of values and a way of life - maybe the cost, penalty and burden of being human? Does the peaceful beauty try to catch the flow of death that pours out of the battle, I'm not sure? What is it that pours forth from that worldly spring, suffering, the essence of life? And who is the maiden, the German nation's healing angel?

I've got more questions than answers on this lovely work by Hermann Hempel, for the Leipziger "War Emergency Fund." Hope some of our old friends chime in and give us some further food for thought? Excellent stuff here sir, thanks!

Bill