Originally Posted By: ivbaust
Originally Posted By: 777
Totally... parts dagger with post war added dedication, that's what it is.

Sorry, but I would disagree slightly.

This dagger was offered on a German auction site a few days ago and I have requestd from the seller additional photos.

According to all available photos the dagger itself seems to be ok, only the lacquer of the grip has been removed. I have a very similar example in my collection. I would therefore say that the dagger itself is an original Aesculap SA, not a parts dagger.

The Röhm dedication is clearly faked. No doubt about that. Wrong makers mark and missing details / wrong details in the etching compared to an original dedication.

Anyhow, another dagger spoiled. Too bad!

I know you're a big fan of Aesculaps and have a nice collection of them, but don't you agree the Aesculap daggers are very special and the same as HACO's or Suhl daggers can be recognized immediately just by the grip shape? All 100% genuine Aesculaps I came across used to have that special grip (you know what I'm talking about). Yes, the laquer could be removed, but the shape stays the same, doesn't it? If one of many of your Aesculaps daggers has also such "atypical" grip then fine, but ask yourself if you would bet your house on originality of its configuration???
I'm trying to keep my collection 100% genuine and free from questionable items, but unless the item is a "barnyard find" of my own or clearly untouched "texbook" piece I will never be able to know what was happening to it during the last 70 years.