Originally Posted By: ivbaust
.................. The Röhm dedication is clearly faked. No doubt about that. Wrong makers mark and missing details / wrong details in the etching compared to an original dedication.

Anyhow, another dagger spoiled. Too bad!

Bob, I was not the first. Nor it seems am I the only one who has said that the inscription on this dagger has "problems". So I have to assume that the “damage” that was made to the collecting hobby that you were talking about was my proposing a theory of how it might have been done.

“With some of the later macro shots that I got with one example of the “H” daggers I could see multiple “nibbles” by the high speed rotary cutter that was used to carve the letters out of steel. With the example here the bottom of the inscription is obscured, but where the two arrows are they have the same (half) round profile of a cutter - needing a little closer look to confirm.”

So at a minimum in my estimation there was at least an effort to mitigate my negative opinion by including: “.......but where the two arrows are they have the same (half) round profile of a cutter - needing a little closer look to confirm.” So I would think that it was clear that what I said was that it was a tentative conclusion that needed to be followed up with much better images (which seems to be a recurring event in various and sundry discussions).

To further this aspect of the discussion, here are a few additional macro images (not the best, but still usable IMO) that show what appears to me to not be acid etching - but the work of a rotary cutter (such as something like a Dremel Tool) that seems to have been done freehand. So if you would be so kind as to show me where my “diagnostic” abilities are in error, I am ready to be corrected. PS: Because the overall file sizes of the images I have are so large, I’ve had break them down to a smaller size to make them compatible with the forum. Fred

H dagger mech engrav 2.jpg (42.05 KB, 321 downloads)
H dagger mech engrav 3.jpg (41.96 KB, 321 downloads)