Originally Posted By: RFI
Gee Fred,
I am glad you are not a Dr. because with your record you would have massive malpractice suits against you for your "guessed" diagnostic abilities.
Before you ask, it looks to be acid etched. As far as I can see it is just discoloration or "if in fact" it is a defect in the etch, most likely a defect in the template.
Since you can never be wrong I am sure you will have a response but, my record is far better then your school of witchcraft.
Happy New Year!
Bob

Bob, There are a number of dealers who keep on selling questionable merchandise that are guessing all the time, or trusting in the "story" they were told, or the "expertise" of guys (past and present) who don't have a clue of how things are made. Or if some guy was just passing on what he was told with no specific knowledge. Which is not to say that a particular individual might be doing it all the time, or can't always tell a good item, or if their is information is bad - it just depends on the source and what it is. Likewise, an independent analysis (free of commercial self interest) can err if the lighting is bad, or a mistake made, etc. etc. But at least there is no price tag attached, and guys can look at what is presented and accept or discard the information as it pleases them.

I won't for the moment be addressing just what you think constitutes a "school of witchcraft" or "track record". Instead posting what I hope is a little better image of the dagger inscription in question. Showing two (admittedly not well defined) 'half moon' outlines which is why I said what I did - adding that confirmation is needed. So I'm waiting to have your explanation/expertise as to why this 'snippet' of this example of a "Hühnlein" dagger blade looks like it does. Fred

inscription 2.jpg (25.38 KB, 251 downloads)
H dagger mech engraving.jpg (28.37 KB, 250 downloads)