Originally Posted By: spacey
Thanks for the Sandy ABC local news link. Devastation. We all know Hurricane Katrina was covered 24/7 for months. This affected more people, and is covered less. At least the local news is on it.

Don't want to under rate the disaster in the east, but I don't think these 2 are all that comparable.
Katrina was a cat 3/4 hurricane, Sandy a 1, so there was quite a bit more brute force wind damage from Katrina. There probably were more people "affected" by Sandy, since it hit such a densely packed area ... But once again, I think the sheer devastation ranging from the coast of Mississippi to Texas, for miles inland, far outweighed the flood damage from Sandy. I know lots of folks lost everything in both, thank god Sandy was not a cat 3 system [might be technically impossible for such a strong system to form so far north].

Coverage is there if you look for it, but true, it is no where near the level of Katrina. The coverage then was centered on NO, 80% of which was submerged, and seemed to grip the nations attention much more, and longer. In most cases, news is news, and yesterdays news doesn't hold relevancy for too long, except for those directly affected.

Doug