Chaps,

Listed in the company's 1925, 50 year anniversary catalog, number 190 - "University Student Fraternity Cap by Carl Roth,
- Studenten - Utensilien - Fabrik W�rzburg, Kneip-Cerevise cap, or Biertonne, (beer barrel) cap, 5.50 DM." Also known as a "pub-cap," this example carries the insignia of the B�rschenschaft, (fellowship) Teutonia. The monogram represents the motto, "sie's Panier," or in other words, "true to the flag."

Though not in big demand by collectors, this is by far one of the better examples I've seen firsthand in quite a while. Most of those found at shows look like they were trampled on by a herd of wild buffalo ... not so with this one! This Biertonne belonged to a friend's father who was a 'Zahnartzt,' or dental physician, in the Heer during the Second World War. I'm hoping to get some photos of him in his officer's tunic. If I do I'll post them back here in future ... for now we can take a look at this nice little beanie.

I wish I could have captured the gilded bullion-work a tad better - still working the bugs out of a new camera. Just think, this is only the tiniest fraction of the embroidery-work to be seen on old German club and military flags. For anyone who hasn't seen a good example of German flag handwork before, try to see some of the imperial and TR regimental standards, swallowtails, etc. You'll literally be at a loss for words ... maybe someone who reads this might help us out with some good photos of bullion sewing..?

Best!

Willi

Frathat topsm.jpg (75.89 KB, 54 downloads)