Hello Fred
I am glade to hear someone finally make the statement that some and probably most of the book authors are good writers/authors but when it comes to factual-technical information on their subject they are somewhat lacking.
There also seems to be a sheepish type following to the book authors as the know all's.
I am kind of new to dagger collecting, probably only about 2-3 yrs. and do not have many dagger books. I bought a few and found them informative as far as pictures and some history goes but when it comes to the technical information needed it's just not there.
As a grad. Engineer in Casting and Metallurgy and working in those sciences for over 35 yrs. I seem to question perhaps too much.
AS far as the so called Experts go their information is mostly from dagger-specimen handling experience only and their memory.
There seems to be very little factual dagger making information available, if there is this information available has it been published?
The other thing most collectors seem to be obvious to is these dagger making companies were in business to make a living for the owners and workers and everything was not exactly the same all the time there were deviations from the norm as required probably on a daily basis, they did not throw anything away, if it was not perfect but they could sneak it thru to make production requirements they did.
Knife-Dagger making was mostly a ART not a Science. Some of the process used in making daggers was a science but the end result was for looks not a functional item.
Just my 2 cents worth.
thanks
michael