Originally Posted By: 1942collector
Fred Thanks again for the areas to be cautious and I will look these over very closely. I do remember seeing some very small worn or chipped areas that had some rust underneath, they were like very pin point size.

I would think if this dagger was examined by one of the SS dagger book writers and offered for sale by him it should be all original?????? Would not you agree?..................... Mike

Negative. I have spoken a number of times to at least one very well recognized figure in collecting (and some others who were supposed to be the 'Cognoscenti'). And when I tried to get technical ............ well ......... let's just say that it did not work out, and it was not on my end. And it was not about "anodizing" or some of those other no brainers, as he (and they) seemed truly clueless as to what I was asking or trying to discuss. And while it does not happen all the time. On various and sundry websites devoted to collecting you will see items that fail to pass muster, need refunds or adjustments etc. etc. So I don't like to automatically take somebody's "word" or "opinion" at face value if it contradicts what I have learned on my own, or maybe with the help of the guys who are really, really, serious collectors. But that is just my take on it from my own personal perspective.

PS: I also understand the point made by Rich as regards media blasting as it does have some similarities, but would not commit to that myself without some much better/closer images.

Regards to all, Fred