Michael, What I am saying is this: Yes, well aged nickel plating can have a whitish or perhaps silverish �frosted� appearance depending on the lighting. With the �Type I�s� using an older process which left uneven deposits that needed to be polished to have a bright finish. But with the dagger posted here (for its age) appearing to have an overall exceptionally good smooth/even matte silverish appearance. Except of course underneath the mouthpiece lip - which is bright.

So for comparison purposes here is an aged �Type I� cloverleaf in three physical states: Uneven aged original - as manufactured deposits in the recesses. Bright on the worn exposed surfaces. And some areas where the plating has lifted to expose bare steel and traces of rust. With my concern here being that there may be some kind of a secondary surface finish covering up defects in chain set - plus. Because we don�t want to forget the link that does not have a center line, the damaged grip missing pieces, etc. etc. All contributing to why I would want a very, very close inspection to try and determine just what is going on. Regards, Fred

%22Type I%22 cloverleaf.jpg (108.96 KB, 203 downloads)