Karin,

Another stunning image for our growing collection, wink

A Peter von Cornelius steel engraving of the highest quality, the tonal-range is really something - a single color - from the softest, most subtle gray to the richest of black. A perfect example of perspective, the darkest shades being closest to the viewer as the backgrounds fade away to a mere whisper ... The anatomy of the figures suggests the style of Michelangelo to me - certain, precise, knowing. Clever how PvC differentiates the allegories from their human victims - the vampire-like blank stares, the eyes having no content! Unlike their nightmare-induced riders, the horses eyes convey life and understanding while the horsemen are beyond a doubt, undead monsters. Fantastisch!

Mikee,

I agree, 'brilliant' is a good choice of words to describe the truly artistic mind. A great piece of music, literature, or image can transfer us to places as unique and diverse as our own personalities, the possibilities are literally endless ...

Many thanks for adding the names of Wotan's raven-spies and his spear. These sharp little details are what bring these old Germanic tales of gods, monsters and men to life. Oh, almost forgot, lots of beautiful and "named," magic-hammers and runic-marked edged weapons, all endowed with tremendous powers!

Dr. Dean,

Thanks for the additional scans, I diddled around a bit and will attach what I came up with - not all that much better than your original shots. That one line of type will be the key to the exact nature of your card ... maybe somebody will help and we'll see..? cool also, thanks in advance to any and all who have ideas as to what it might say?

Best!

W~

graphic1wotan.jpg (86.87 KB, 100 downloads)