Grumpy, If the thread is looked at in detail what Joe W says (abbreviated) is as follows: ................. �The sword in the first photo is a non-awarded SS Fuhrerdegen, of the design called called "Candidate" sword, that were provided for those officers desiring to carry a sidearm but not having the "connections" to be awarded an Ehrendegen. I provide this description based on the appearance in SS replacement price lists of a listing for an "SS-Degen", as well as the appearance of procured SS-Degens appearing on RSHA inventory cards. These were illustrated in T.W.'s book on SS blades for which I contributed the SS-Police sword chapter. I also present this photo of a number of "candidate" swords worn by Ober-Junkers of a class of SS-Schule Braunschweig.�

From �rakra� regarding the image Joe W posted: �Regarding the top of the grip/pommel it looks like an NCO one to me�

Reply from Joe W: ................... �They are "NCO" swords........I was using the term candidate in a tongue-in-check manner. Perhaps the "NCO" Degen is the real "candidate" sword..............

The many �variations� in the SS book (and in general circulation) suggesting more later period assembling with Dachu swords using parts from other sources. With as per the RFSS no more (ordinary) SS Honor swords to be awarded due to the war being written up in January of 1941. But apparently not officially published until mid 1942, citing restrictions with steel quotas as a reason (except of course for the custom made swords for HH as an obvious exception). With the wearing of swords forbidden in August of that year except for special occasions. Along with a published reminder that the SS dagger was an official sidearm that could be worn instead. Regards, Fred