I started to read this thread and became mesmerised by the variety and scope of just what starting a collection can involve. When I began to collect I simply picked up items as they appeared totally unaware that there was such a complex and interesting history behind each one. At that time a dagger was a dagger and I all looked for was condition and pretty colours !!

Then I met Gary and few fellow collectors at my first ever US show, that was an eye opener. I bought books, joined forums, met and spoke to fellow collectors and broadened my knowledge base. I even began to visit fairs and shows, which I had never done before.

Despite having collected for a while now I was never going to have the time to dig deep into the hobby. The field was to vast and complex. Real life was always in the way and my collection had never been documented.

Threads like this one and my fellow GDC members have inspired me to take a better look at what I have. To document and share my collection where possible. Today I took a look at some of my Luftwaffe daggers in a different light.

It is thanks to people like JohnZ that this hobby continues to facinate me and as I approach a more relaxed time of life I will endeavour to rise to the challange and be a better collector.

Frank