Karin Renate,

Good to see you here, always a pleasure reading your helpful, interesting additions. As we say in the states, "a breath of fresh air."

Looking at these wonderful images without understanding the meanings behind them is akin to looking at a stranger's photo album without any details - the pictures might be visually stimulating but without some basic background information we're always left somewhat in the dark..? It's exactly that information that places these artworks into historic context and perspective, giving us an important mental timeline of sorts. When the illustration is explained to the viewer, those additional insights add so much more to the visual impact of the picture. The yin and the yang, two parts of the whole, a symbiotic relationship at its very best.

I found these next two images appealing for different reasons, the first a portrait of Kaiser Wilhelm I - detail-oriented, vibrant and razor-sharp. The second illustration is by Ludwig Holwein, a much simpler form and in only two basic colors. I'd say elementary for an artist of his class but nevertheless, perfect for the subject matter, "Animals as Master-builders."

Best! wink

W~

wilhelmIsm.jpg (65.69 KB, 124 downloads)
Hollweindiewochesm.jpg (49.17 KB, 123 downloads)
Last edited by WWII; 05/04/2012 12:41 PM.