Fellow collectors,

Some of us are familiar with the image of Hubertus, the patron saint of hunters chancing upon a 'blessed' stag while enjoying his favorite pastime, out hunting with his trusty steed and pups. In a nutshell, the magnificent animal speaks to Hubertus and explains the laws of genetics and wildlife-conservation to the old boy, which instantly transforms him from big-time-game-hunter, into big-time-game-protector!

Those who know the legend would likely agree it's fairly familiar scenario, especially to those of our friends from European countries. It's been drawn, etched, engraved, cast, carved, painted, printed and sculpted, literally in the thousands of variations and interpretations.

Once in a long while a great example will pop up and this one fits nicely into that category! There's one famous image that set my 'gold-standard' for Hubertus renderings, by an artist known to me only as "W.R.," at the moment. I'll have to find his full name ..? Can you make out the artist's name on this card Dean? This is another really marvelous work you've found. I enjoy the way the soft, foggy gray and brown colors give way to the stag's brilliant aura and that small but powerful, vivid splash of orange sunlight making its way up through the trees. That minor bit of color contrast really sets the depth and tone of the deep, dark forest for the viewer. Truly a case of "less being much, much, more..!!"

Death and the young girl is also another fine addition to our look at German graphic art. Herning's technique to illustrate the semi-transparency of Death's shroud and the maiden's exotic garb is simply first class. He leaves just enough light filter through the filmy, sheer material for us to get a very good feeling for what's underneath, and that red wisp of a dress poses a great counterpoint to the reaper's dark, macabre presence standing there in a lush field of bright wildflowers, whilst embracing his beautiful and much-too-young, victim. Talk about a frightening scene, and the nasty, boney bugger creeping around in broad daylight, too!

Many thanks for sharing your outstanding collection, always a treat.

Best!

B~