Mac,

Even one mint HJ knife with a whiggling "full red" diamond would not convince me. Want to know why?

I visit now for over 10 years all the major European fairs: most in Belgium, France and Germany. I am talking about hundreds of fairs. One would be surprised how many HJ knifes are still surfacing here in Europe. At every fair I look at all of the offered HJ knifes: that makes thousants of HJ knifes in total.

When I started, the following HJ knife features where considered suspicious and most collectors would not buy knifes having them:

- plastic hangers
- erzats (pressed paper) hangers
- etched maker marks
- ink stamped maker marks
- aluminium rivets
- eaglehead shaped pommels
- ... many more

But as these features were showing again and again on freshly surfaced HJ's bearing always the same maker mark; I have been able to draw conclusions about these features being period and applied by typical producers and sometimes even in particular years of production.

The "full red" diamond is not a feature like that: these show up on all kinds of poor quality knifes from which the original diamond has been removed and/or for which the investment in a replacement original " dotted red" diamond is too high.

It is as simple as that.

I wish you lots of fun with collecting!

Best regards,

Herman

Last edited by Herman V. (aka Herr Mann); 02/20/2012 02:40 PM.

You never have enough HJ-knifes!