I wouldn't buy it, but there does seem to be something questionable about such swords. The "conventional wisdom" is they are post-war "parts" swords. Some, perhaps all, are just that. However, for what it's worth, occasionally, such a sword appears "out of the woodwork," as a vet bring-back. They could still have been post-war assembled, but I wonder. There is a "Dachau" type in Angolia's "sword" book with a "Voos" blade. I bought one years ago for a song that has "Dachau" hilt fittings, but with a "Holler" blade and conventional scabbard. Purchased from the vet's family. I'm well aware that souveniers were being scavanged all over Europe by G.I's and, no doubt, many were being accomodated by the indigenous population, who would not hesitate to enhance something to make a fast dollar. But, I wonder if there was an inordinate demand for SS items, as compared to other items. In other words, would it have been worth it to alter a police sword to an SS model in those days? Would an SS sword have brought more than a police sword back then? It's all speculation and I have mentioned it before, but, if some such swords are original to the period, there are two principal theories, I think. l) The first is the "Dachau" forge was forced to order sword parts, including blades, from other manufacturers, due to a shortage of their own parts or because such a high demand for finished swords was placed upon it. 2) Some police swords were altered by SS members because of a shortage of, or discontinuance of, swords. Such would likely have only been done by those who were authorized to carry the sword. Another possibility is police swords were altered for parade and ceremonial wear, while the actual award degen was safely put away to prevent damage. It seems most, but not all, SS degens are found in remarkably good condition, which may lend some credence to this idea. In the meantime, the safe bet is to go only with the so-called "textbook" examples.