Paul, We crossed paths in our posts, and my original comment, which I pulled out to assess your comments and adjust accordingly:

�For anyone who might not have been sure of whether or not this is really a �Type I�. Here is the �SS Kulturzeichen�. As I said before, the dagger does not look like it has been �tarted up�. Which for so many others can sometimes make it more difficult to judge what is actually being looked at. This dagger also having a type of patina that is seen with nickel plating (a clue: It�s not bright and shinny, and might not be particularly tenacious).

Also, in my effort to be �concise�, did I leave out something? Is everyone clear as to what I was referring to as a �Proof of Concept� ie: with plated crossguards?�

My reply: It�s not a new topic. Simply put, �Proof of Concept� in some industries means that the idea (like an experimental aircraft) works. And while some others have made known their own (unfavorable) views on �Gau� marked daggers. I have posted a dagger (or possibly two) which clearly illustrates one of my main points. Which is that nickel plated crossguards were used in manufacturing the Type I daggers. Nickel plating which seems to have had some problems. And in a number of images that I looked at over the weekend. I saw M 1936 daggers with ill fitted mouthpieces/crossguards, crossguards/grips, undersized grips, chipped grips, and various other issues which for me translates to a parts piece, and/or otherwise fooled around with. Fred

Type_I_SS_Kulturzeichen.jpg (58.4 KB, 302 downloads)