Ron you and Joe have without doubt taught me much and provided invaluble assistance through your writing and verbal help at shows. For that I am thankful.
I agree with you that these sand cast early NS crossguards were not of the tolerances of the die cast zinc guards. I can not say that I've "seen hundreds of SA's where the crossguards can not be run down the tang". I don't disect each one I handle and I have handled a few. I'm not saying they all come together perfectly when you slip them on. I'm saying they were slid on and press fit into place with a fixture. Take a second and do a hysterectomy on the next eary sa you get and look at the witness mark on the face of the crossguard from the butt of the blade. That's not filed or fit that way, it's pressed. BTW ask me about this at the MAX and I'll share something real cool. Wink BTW think about armies. That's how they were fit too, and that's why the "vigin crossguards" are so tight on there.
I do know that there were a few makers of early crossguards and I never said that they were "easily interchangeable" what I said is that they could go through the "same basic process" as other guards coming in. Yes, the grip has to be fit to the guard, yes, throat radii fit as well. What I'm saying is that crossguards were not as normal practice IMHO machined/filed or whatever at the assembly plants.
If you don't agree with me. I can live with that.
Smile