What Ron said: - page 2.

Paul, Let me see if I can use another kind of approach, and if you disagree with something we can go from there.

Clearly the guys who made the �Type I� scabbards were not amateurs, and they were well equipped. In a OEM factory, normally you have all kinds of tooling to speed the process, and hopefully get a product that does not require a lot of extra hand work. Filling in the gaps where you don't have tooling are your well trained workers.
quote:
Now you've moved to talking about the scabbard throat piece radius matching. Again Crossguards were not fit to throats, throat radii were made to match the guard.

How many makers of the R�hm daggers were there? Maybe 10? Did they have CNC, or did they make things �old school�? Did they all share molds (if they had them), tooling etc.? I doubt it. My point? Lets assume for the sake of discussion: That parts from one half of the makers (or a major maker) exactly matches or is otherwise the same, or close enough. And that maybe half of the lower crossguards in that box of �Gau� marked parts could use jig �A�. And the other half is going into the trash - unless they can be reworked to fit jig �A�. We don�t want to do that so we make jig �B�. And then we find out that 10 % of that amount fit jig �B�. So we make jig �C�. And then we find out that only 10 % fit jig �C�. And so on. Keeping in mind that 50% from the start could be a �tad� optimistic.

The ball is in your court. Regards, Fred