Fred you and I really need to get together at a show and "tip a few" together I think it would make for a lively conversation. I mean that sincerely Smile
I will explain to you how I see these things fit. The caster of the crossguards removed the sprues, cleaned and polished the NS crossguards and delivered to the dagger assembler. The assembly guys inserted the tang into the orifice and press fit the crossguard to the blade butt using a fixture and a press. BTW this is why all these parts daggers never fit right at the tang. Hope they're not listening Wink
The grip was then adjusted to fit to the crossguard. The crossguard was not fit to the grip. There is lots of evidence that grips were fit. There is little evidence that the crossguards were machined, filed, sanded or whatever at the assembly stage. Intuitively what would you rather do? file down a nickel crossguard or sand off a few milimeters from a grip? If you don't agree, that's ok with me, I think we are going off on a tangent.
I believe I'm in the majority when I say these are factory issued with gau stamped crossguards. If you don't agree, that's fine, we've disagreed before.
As I've said to my wife in exasperation, "Just cause you can talk faster and better than me doesn't mean you're right!" Big Grin