quote:
Thanks Fred for that picture but I'm not exactly sure of what your point is?

Paul, My apologies if I wasn�t clear. I think that everyone is on board with the fact that dagger makers had to discontinue using nickel silver (copper and nickel) in making daggers (swords etc.). And eventually the M 1936 (and other) daggers were made using steel and zinc in lieu of nickel silver. But there was an intermediate step where malleable iron was used (using existing NS manufacturing equipment), before zinc became the material of choice.

The (misnamed IMO) �Type I�s� are also an intermediate variation of the M 1936 daggers, after the Type �X� and �Type II� (in nickel silver) were no longer being made. Having a heavier plating than the �Type II� (in steel) with zinc crossguards.
quote:
As far as the fitting of the crossguards that seems to be a red herring to me. They would have grabbed one pushed it onto the tang and press fit the crossguard in place using a fixture/press same as was always done with early political daggers.

If I remember correctly, you have expertise in die casting. With die casting part # 1 - looks and fits just like die cast part # 1000. But die casting is not foundry work, and the sand cast NS (or iron) parts out of the mold look like the inside of the socket (very granular in appearance) with a fairly large sprue attached. Which has to be cut away. And the part then ground smooth and shaped to fit, and polished, etc. etc.

My point being that back then hand/selective fitting was needed. Which is also why we see some of the early daggers having assembly numbers, just like many of the Solingen makers did for their early military items. Regards, Fred